Monday, June 11, 2007

Who decides what songs you sing each sunday?


Who should decide what you sing each Sunday? Elders,Worship leader, Committee,members, or let say the Holy Spirit. This has been on my mind for a while, so I will blog my thoughts on the subject. I have led worship at many places and have always been amazed how people think they should pick the songs. Granted on one hand, I do get to choose the songs. I just start thinking about the Old Testament in how they people did not do it right. They worshipped the wrong thing and did not follow order. I want you to know the worship that I planned with the Holy Spirit's help is seasoned with prayer in order that we can worship in truth and spirit. This is very important to me. I problably could count on both hands the times where I got to sing what I like. Some people think that this is always the case. Believe me, It is not!

If I don't choose the songs who should? I want to build the case for all of those(I believe there are 2 of you) who read my blog, to pray for that Worship leader or song leader whatever you call it at your church. Randy Harris had spoken last week about how the taste of music of a congregation could be split in thirds. So, each song sung at your service, about 2/3rd of the people prefer another style or just plain don't like that hymn. So, if you are the worship planner(leader), you are in a no-win situation. This being the case, choose to rely on God's spirit to guide you on song selections. People will be mad no matter what! Is that biblical? I don't think so. If you look at the parable of the wedding feast taught by Jesus, he tells us to not to be first or to have it our way. The first shall be last and the last shall be first. We say we want to serve, but really we say I want to have it my way. Side note: Just because you are older does not give you the right over those who are younger. The bible even warns the young peole to not let you look down on them because they are young.

Be prayerful of that leader, if he gets it wrong(grace will still be given) or starts listening to members- how can he tell that your request is from the Holy spirit. Remember God is the audience, NOT YOU! Another sidenote: Who do you think receives the praise you are given? Who is doing all of the listening? Let me answer this one for you--GOD. I have had to tell people over the years that they are not lifting their hands for the people around them- It is to the Receiver- God. Does this mean that the worship leader should not take suggestions? No, but be careful what you ask for.

Worship is very important to me. Over the years, many have considered my style of leading worship participatory-friendly. I love when every one can sing to God without reservations. I have led in churches where new songs were discouraged and encouraged.. I have led at churches where old songs were discouraged and encouraged. I do believe in a blended service with BOTH type of songs. I don't mean do all your preferred style and then throw in one or two of the other style. I have even been a part of a work that called it balanced if we had 4 days of old style and 1 day of the new. He called that BALANCE! Are you kidding me!

I just want to praise the Lord. My prayer is that there is a church out there that will want to be led by the spirit and want their leaders to be led by the spirit. I believe when the spirit is working in a church the only boundaries are the ones we selfimpose. What do you think?

3 comments:

Joice Family said...

Hey Terry,

Ran across your blog on Jim Miller's. Hope all is well.

Chad

James E. Miller said...

When I lead worship, I just like to be able to say:

"One more time!"

Liz Moore said...

Great Post Terry! I have learned over the years that worship must be Spirit led. If the Spirit is leading and those participating remember who the worship is for and where their focus is suppose to be, the songs you sing don't matter. It's the heart with which you sing them that matters. Of course everyone has their favorites, but when you sing to praise the Lord, and not yourself, you will probably find you have more favorites than you thought you did.

P.S. I still miss getting to sing with you! That was some of the best times ever :)