Friday, June 22, 2007

I GOT ROBBED!!!!


I got robbed today. I returned home before going to my mother's house and my apartment had been burglarized. I can not really described the feeling I have tonight. Yes, I am still in my apartment. The Police was no help at all. It was though I was his way of doing nothing today. The apartment maintenance guy went beyond the call of duty to figure out how they got into my apartment. I had left a window unlocked in my bedroom and they took the screen off and push my dresser drawers to get in. They trashed my apartment. Right now he/they only took my digital camera, and maybe some checks. I could not believe it. My labtop was in clearview, my paycheck from East Cobb was in clearview, my target watch was in clear view(now I know it must not be worth much when a person is in a hurry). This looked like a grab and go type of crime. They were looking for cash. They went in my medicine cabinet to find nothing. This was horrible! I felt at the time of opening the door to my apartment very invaded. I am 36 years old and very rarely have I felt afraid until today for that moment at least. I wanted out, and wanted out fast. I sat down outside waiting on the police to come-45 minutes later. ( Ironically, I was with my realestate agent the day before and we set the alarm off in a condo and the police was there in 2 minutes) I guess I am back living in the ghetto of Atlanta. After being afraid, and settling down, I felt like I wanted to fight. They/He will not win. The maintenance guy will receive a letter and a gift card for helping me tonight. I regained my senses. I will continue my search for a new home. My lease is up the end of July. Up till now, I really have not had to many problems while living here. I had been warned by people to not live here, but I felt like it was the classic fear of seeing too many minorities living in one area. I needed cheap rent and it was very close(next door) to where I worked. Anyway, as the Sanford and Son episode which came on the other night I can say " I have been robbed"

1 comment:

Liz Moore said...

Terry, I am so sorry to hear that you were robbed!! How horrible! Although my home has never been broken into, our camping travel trailer has 3 times. One time someone had been sleeping in it for who knows how long. I know it's not the same but I know a little of what you mean about feeling violated. It is very unnerving to think of someone going through your things and in our case, actually sleeping in the bed you sleep in. It is a horrible feeling. I'm sorry the police were not any more help, but I am glad you at least had someone there with you to help you out. I will be praying for you and that you find a new place immediately.