Monday, June 4, 2007

Looking forward to July

This summer, I am helping with a day camp that has served me in a way to outreach to the community around the school I teach. This has been exhausting(physically)which is alright since I need the exercise, but has been very rewarding. In July, I will be taking a month off from my worship leading duties to reflect, pray, vacation, and whatever God takes me to on Sunday. I am a person who loves to travel and experience new things. I am 36, and sometimes feel like I am 66, tied to all of my different responsiblities. Tim Spivey said it well in his blog listed here http://www.typepad.com/t/trackback/2068372/19030256. I am looking forward to July.

Update on Randy tonight: He presented the story on the prodigal son. Again, an excellent lesson presented like we had never heard it before. I feel like Randy, that I am like the older brother in the story, who has done all the things right and tended to those who were hurt, and then this punk comes and we throw a party for him. Randy is good! I felt very convicted tonight to give up control and see what God has planned for me. Everything I get to do is great! I wondered if I am prepared to receive the people Randy talked about tonight in the service. He mentioned worship wars of the future being more about Punk rock, rap, and etc. Are we ready for this? As a worship leader, I was challenged tonight. I was thinking tonight how nondiverse the worship team was tonight. Here is a church wanting to embrace the community but have a very lily white praise team. They have a Korean ministry, Hispanic ministry, and a meals-on-wheel for people staying in extended stay hotels- and no diversity on the praise team. This is not a cut on this church or the worship leader who I believe is awesome. He along with his team will be coming to East Cobb sunday night. So, I mentioned it here as an observation and a direct call to put up or shut up as I continue to digust Randy's lesson tonight. Randy encouraged them to go for it. Don't be afraid. Please join me in prayer not only for this church, but all christians as we think about our responsiblity and respond to Luke 15. It was a great evening. Terry

1 comment:

Liz Moore said...

I'm still jealous... getting to hear Randy again! :)

I think anyone in ministry is bound to feel that way sometimes. It's not that you want to receive the glory instead of God, there's just something about someone walking in from no where and getting all these pats on the back. Sometimes I think those things happen to humble us. To make us think about what we are doing and make sure we are doing things for the right reasons.

Enjoy your time away. I know you deserve it because I know the kind of work you put in. I hope your time away is just needed for rest and reflection and not because things are going crazy (like in the past) if you know what I mean. :)

If you happen to come this way, be sure and give us a call!